Saturday, May 7, 2011

Seamus Murphy


To accompany each twelve songs on PJ Harvey's new album 'Let England Shake' Seamus Murphy has made 12 short films. I can't stop watching them at the moment and find them incredibly inspiring.
He set out on a road trip across England, wanting to capture the enigma of the country and the english people.
Seamus Murphy wanted to  view  the country as though he was a foreigner, traveling with little equipment. He documented his experiences in reportage style, using available light and real-life situations. Seamus works alone, both shooting and editing , so the projects become very personal.I love how his work are a collage of footage,  not always relating but tying in with a common mood or theme.

 "England has a complicated relationship with the past, its island status, its relationship to the land, geography and tradition. Contemporary England springs from a history of colonial adventures, military ambitions and industrial prowess. It is also defined by its waning power and military role in modern politics. At times, it can be a very odd place....I;m showing it what I saw , how I saw it and perhaps how I would like it to be.  I am not trying to deliver messages, though something must sneak through as I film a particular place, scene or person."

No comments:

Post a Comment