Sunday, May 8, 2011

Tracey Moffart "Night Cries : A Rural Tragedy Part II"



Night Cries is a short experimental film written and directed by Tracey Moffart. The film is completely shot in a studio. It is the most stunning short film I've seen in a very long time . It reminds me of a dream I had last night. I slept with a girl on a  beach that had the feel of a film set, Aladdin lamps and rubies littering the sand.I can't remember how I came about Tracey Moffart's work, but I watched it one time after the other for the first few days of discovering it.


The film is about the relationship between an Aboriginal daughter and her white mother. The daughter, now the sole carer of her dying mother.
Tracey Moffatt is a renowed   Australian visual artists whose work uses constructed environments and completely film in doors, only sounds and lush colour palette suggests " the grand physical expanse of a physical landscape"


"Tracey Moffatt is an artist who continues to challenge the social construction of Aboriginality and how it is nationally and internationally viewed"


I found the end scene with the crying  child next to her dying mother in the sound of in infants wail  ,particularly haunting , along with the scenes of the raging sea. It reminds me of something out of my night mares.


Tracey Moffartt films work is characterized by a 'hyperrealist aesthetic '.
Her work examines the way in which 'Australian's colonial past informs the present' She is particularly concerned with individuals who attempt to relate with one another , despite their differences. This is an issue Tracey Moffart grapples with herself , as she was born half aboriginal, half european australian, but by society, 'forced by law to be adopted into the white family'

No comments:

Post a Comment